A good Logic book
bup416
2004-02-14 16:41:12 UTC
Anyone have any recommendations on which is a good book to
read for logic, i.e. wizoo, apple pro series.?

Rope

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Rob Yale
2004-02-14 18:33:01 UTC
Post by bup416
Anyone have any recommendations on which is a good book to
read for logic, i.e. wizoo, apple pro series.?
Rope
"Logic 6 Power!" by Orren Merton ISBN 1-59200-128-9

and

"Emagic Logic Tips and Tricks" by Len Sasso ISBN 1-59200-135-1

Enjoy!

Rob Yale
Yale Music
Composition and Production

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
pcmankey
2004-02-14 21:34:25 UTC
Post by bup416
Anyone have any recommendations on which is a good book to
read for logic, i.e. wizoo, apple pro series.?
Rope
If you are starting from ground zero like I was, I highly recommend the Apple Pro Series. It
is a great tutorial and will get you up and running in a matter of hours by having you
actually put together a song. I had no clue where to even begin to do the simplest things
and in a short time after working through the tutorial was up and running.

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Stefan Garr
2004-02-14 22:18:47 UTC
Post by bup416
Anyone have any recommendations on which is a good book to
read for logic, i.e. wizoo, apple pro series.?
Another good book that I just got is by Orren Merton. Here's a link:
http://www.courseptr.com/ptr_detail.cfm?
group=Music%20Technology&isbn=1%2D59200%2D128%2D9

Another book I recently purchased is by Len Sasso:
http://www.courseptr.com/ptr_detail.cfm?
group=Music%20Technology&isbn=1%2D59200%2D135%2D1

Good Luck

Stefan

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
professor ned
2004-02-14 23:56:23 UTC
Post by bup416
Anyone have any recommendations on which is a good book to
read for logic, i.e. wizoo, apple pro series.?
Check out

http://www.logicuser.net/books/index.php3

My pick of the lot is "Das grosse Logic Handbuch", but if
you don't speak German, you might find it a bit impenetrable :)

ned
--
http://www.stromkern.com

"Life on other planets is difficult"

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Chaz
2004-02-25 17:54:26 UTC
About to get a audio interface. Tired of using the
sound blaster card. Any suggestions?

Can't use anything but USB because there is no more
space in the computer.

Thanks

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Chris Moore
2004-02-14 23:15:57 UTC
Post by bup416
Anyone have any recommendations on which is a good book to
read for logic, i.e. wizoo, apple pro series.?
[SORRY for the long post.... I have a list already made for this]

IMO, these are the BEST books about Logic (and there are not many more
than this out there anyways!):

1.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1592001289/qid=76772058/sr==1-1/ref==sr_1_1/103-8441541-6321450?v==glance&s==books

Title: Logic 6 Power!
Author: Orren Merton
Publisher: Muska & Lipman Pub; (December 2003)
ISBN: 1592001289
Pages: 450
Price: $20.99 (www.amazon.com)

"Logic 6 Power!" is one of the first books on the market to cover the
most recent version, 6.0. The author offers step-by-step explanations
as well as tips, tricks and visual walk-throughs that will help you
easily understand this complex software. Its comprehensive index is a
unique feature designed to provide you with a quick guide to the book's
extensive topic coverae. This book will serve as your complete
reference and guide to using Logic.

2.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0321200403/qid=76772058/sr==1-2/ref==sr_1_2/103-8441541-6321450?v==glance&s==books

Title: Apple Pro Training Series: Logic 6
Author: Martin Sitter and Robert Brock
Publisher: Peachpit Press; Book and CD-ROM edition (July 14, 2003)
ISBN: 0321200403
Pages: 552
Price: $31.49 (www.amazon.com)

If you've ever dreamed of setting up your own recording studio, Apple's
newly acquired Logic high-end audio software is the perfect place to
start, and this Apple-certified book provides the training you need to
begin creating audio master works with it. Whether you're looking to
digitize your musical compositions, create cost-effective 5.1 surround
soundtracks, or transfer that song from your head on to CD, this
comprehensive book will show you how.

Multimedia artist and veteran audio producer Martin Sitter, along with
veteran Logic instructor and keyboardist Robert Brock, uses
step-by-step instruction and straightforward, jargon-free prose to
demonstrate how you can employ Logic's software synthesizers, sampler,
and digital signal processors (compressors, reverbs, and so on) to put
the perfect aural polish on your audio creations. You can work through
the guide from cover to cover for an entire, hands-on course on
Logic--complete with review questions at the end of each chapter, and
lesson files and a trial version of Logic on the accompanying CD-ROM.
Or you can go straight to the sections that interest you most.

3.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1592001351/ref==qid=76772058/sr=6-pd_sr_ec_ir_b/ref==sr_36_pd_sr_ec_ir_b_b/103-8441541-6321450?v==glance&s==books&st==*

Title: Emagic Logic Tips and Tricks
Author: Len Sasso
Publisher: Muska & Lipman Pub; (October 2003)
ISBN: 1592001351
Pages: 136
Price: $17.49 (www.amazon.com)

With coverage of the newly released version 6, this incomparable book
picks up where Logic’s manual and online help leave off. Logic is one
of the most popular audio software programs with professionals, and
also has a large presence in music education settings. It has close to
900 user-assignable key commands, and making sense of them can be a
daunting task. Rather than taking you on a step-by-step tour, it
provides tips and insights for getting the most out of each of Logic’s
structural elements. Each topic covered includes a list of the most
useful key commands and their factory default assignments relevant to
that particular topic. While aimed at experienced Logic users, those
new to the software will also be able to find valuable information that
will them save hours of work. There are complete chapters of tips on
Midi recording and editing, environment, sample editing and DSP,
project manager, and more.

4.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0825627249/ref==qid=76772243/sr=6-pd_sr_ec_ir_b/ref==sr_36_pd_sr_ec_ir_b_b/103-8441541-6321450?v==glance&s==books&st==*

Title: Logic Audio Workshop
Author: Dave Bellingham
Publisher: Amsco Music; Book and CD-ROM edition (May 2003)
ISBN: 0825627249
Pages: 350
Price: $32.00 (www.amazon.com)

The Logic Audio guide covers all of Logic’s audio facilities in an
entertaining, and easy to read, guide that perfectly complements the
Emagic Reference manual. It includes information on all Logic versions
up to, and including, Logic 6.

This guide will show you how to creatively, and efficiently, use
Logic’s audio features, in a musical context. It includes topics such
as using the new Track Automation system, using insert and send
effects, mixing, bouncing, VST instruments and plug-ins, audio
handling, sample editing, EQ-ing, synchronization, and integration with
other applications and hardware plus much more.

The Logic Audio Workshop guide is the perfect companion for both
beginners and advanced users alike. The enclosed CD-ROM includes a
number of plug-in and application demo versions, utilities and support
material that will aid your understanding of Logic. In addition, a
large amount of information on computer and audio hardware, plus an
extensive collection of Internet links will assist you in purchasing
and setting up your computer and audio system for Logic.

5. http://www.vtc.com/products/logic.htm <<(GO THERE for FREE VIDEOS!)>>

Title: Emagic Logic Audio 6 (Training CD Set)
Author: George Leger III
Publisher: Virtual Training Company Inc.
Time: 7 Hours of video training on CD
Price: $99 (www.amazon.com)

magic Logic Audio 6 is the best solution for professional musicians
working on the Macintosh platform. Today’s musicians and producers need
integrated tools for their music composition, notation and production
needs…Logic delivers! This high-end audio production tool offers an
easy to understand interface, total reliability, all at an affordable
price. Virtual Training Company author / music producer George Leger
III will show you how to get the most out of this audio application.
This tutorial covers many topics including installation and setup,
recording audio, MIDI, virtual instruments, 3rd party plug-ins as well
as applications that increase the power of the Emagic sequencing
platform.

6.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1870775848/qid=76772243/sr==1-3/ref==sr_1_3/103-8441541-6321450?v==glance&s==books

Title: Emagic Logic Virtual Instruments: A Users Guide
Author: Stephen Bennett
Publisher: PC Pub; (October 2003)
ISBN: 1870775848
Pages: 320
Price: $20.97 (www.amazon.com)

All about Emagic's virtual instruments and how to use them.

Chris M.

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Michael Tuminello
2004-02-16 17:58:27 UTC
6.
Author: Stephen Bennett
Publisher: PC Pub; (October 2003)
ISBN: 1870775848
Pages: 320
Price: $20.97 (www.amazon.com)
All about Emagic's virtual instruments and how to use them.
I think the first Stephen Bennett book was good too. it's on Logic 5,
but there's not such a vast difference dealing with the basics between
5 and 6, at least I don't think so... perhaps I am wrong... as an
aside, I think the Reason book ('users guide to') is an excellent
introduction to the program and also an entire spectrum of electronic
music topics (sampling, analog synthesis, etc)

MT

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Brian Mikiten
2004-02-16 18:43:22 UTC
Author: Stephen Bennett
Publisher: PC Pub; (October 2003)
ISBN: 1870775848
Pages: 320
Price: $20.97 (www.amazon.com)
I second this book. It is an excellent reference source for next to the
computer!

Brian

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Teddy Kumpel
2004-02-15 02:11:41 UTC
if you want 5 against 4 (which is the same thing as 4 against 5 except
backwards and harder to read with the quintuplets) you can't do it
(technically) in logic because Logic doesn't have quintuplets (that I know
of).
logic DOES have quintuplets, and septuplets, etc...
cool...

so if it has them why can't you do what you want to do?

Teddy Kumpel

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Murray McDowall
2004-02-15 03:47:10 UTC
Speaking of Cubase, another cool feature I miss in Logic is the option of
four diffent verlocity values when writing notes directly into an edit
window. Each velocity value should have its own key combination to modify a
mouse click with the pen tool. Speeding up drum programming a bunch!
Exactly :) That way you can easily emulate the accent feature of
many drum machines -- a mouse click is a regular hit, and a
shift-click is with accent. The regular and accented sounds could
then be mapped to different velocity zones in a sampler.
I have been reading suggestions like this on the LUG for about 7 years. At
first I thought there might be something to this idea - having used this
method myself when programming drums on Cubase Atari about 12 years ago.

Logic's Hypereditor midi drums page is much more powerful than this el
basico 16th note grid with about 4 velocity values.

In the hypereditor, every note event is shown as a single vertical bar
with the velocity displayed like a column graph within the vertical bar -
you effectively have complete control over the midi velocity from 0 to 127
with a single operation of the mouse.

The note velocity is instantly visible - you don't have to refer down to a
secondary display below as in Cubase SX or depend on colour coding. Amazing
as it may seem, the key-commands thing (shift-click for accent etc) has
not been implemented in Cubase SX PC.

I program multi-velocity drum samples this way all the time and you can
drag the mouse up and down and hear the velocity switching - you can fine
tune the accent level by ear. You don't have to accept an arbitrary default
setting.

Also the Hypereditor grid is subdivided into whatever multiple you like -
on a per-midi-note basis - want to zoom in and program fills and flams at
1/64 beats or whatever - no problem.

The idea of going back to something like the Cubase drum grid editor - with
or without the keycommands - has no appeal to me and, given that Emagic
have never bothered to act on any of the countless suggestions that they
implement a "drum editor, " I guess they can't see the appeal either.

Regards,
Murray

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
strobe_tallbot
2004-02-15 04:06:45 UTC
Post by bup416
Anyone have any recommendations on which is a good book to
read for logic, i.e. wizoo, apple pro series.?
I keep meaning to post my enthusiastic thumbs up for Orren Merton's
"Logic 6 Power". It really is the Missing Logic Manual for non-power users
(although they might find it useful too). I *highly* recommend it!

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
stevenrowat
2004-02-23 20:03:33 UTC
<quotes repositioned by admin>
Post by strobe_tallbot
Post by bup416
Anyone have any recommendations on which is a good book to
read for logic, i.e. wizoo, apple pro series.?
I keep meaning to post my enthusiastic thumbs up for Orren Merton's
"Logic 6 Power". It really is the Missing Logic Manual for non-power users
(although they might find it useful too). I *highly* recommend it!
Hi,

Could those who have read this book perhaps comment on these two
questions about "Logic 6 power"

1. Is it appropriate for someone who wants comprehensive audio
editing information (in other words, is audio treated as a full
sibling with MIDI, not just as its little brother).

2. Is the writing smooth and clear (transparent to the content),
without convoluted sentences and just "too many" of those "very
annoying" uses of "multiple quotation marks" like in the Manual (and
another Logic 6 book whose sample chapter I've seen). Access to a
sample chapter and Table of Contents/Index would be ideal.

Thanks....

steven rowat

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
strobe_tallbot
2004-02-23 23:23:14 UTC
Post by stevenrowat
Post by strobe_tallbot
I keep meaning to post my enthusiastic thumbs up for Orren Merton's
"Logic 6 Power". It really is the Missing Logic Manual for non-power users
(although they might find it useful too). I *highly* recommend it!
Could those who have read this book perhaps comment on these two
questions about "Logic 6 power"
1. Is it appropriate for someone who wants comprehensive audio
editing information (in other words, is audio treated as a full
sibling with MIDI, not just as its little brother).
It assumes you have a working knowledge of digital audio concepts but after that
it gives audio and midi more or less equal time.
Post by stevenrowat
2. Is the writing smooth and clear (transparent to the content),
without convoluted sentences and just "too many" of those "very
annoying" uses of "multiple quotation marks" like in the Manual (and
another Logic 6 book whose sample chapter I've seen). Access to a
sample chapter and Table of Contents/Index would be ideal.
Yes, smooth and clear. Not at all like the Logic manual. Plus it has a pretty
good index. It is a bit light in a few areas such as working with video and
working with Hyper Sets but overall it's a very good starter manual that unlike
the Logic Manual can easily be taken on the bus or to the cafe.

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Brian Pylant
2004-02-24 00:58:29 UTC
I still have to say (and hopefully the Mr. Merton is listening - I know
he's on the LUG) that providing some sample pages online would be a
great sales boost... my local bookstores don't carry any of the Logic
books, and I don't really feel like going through the hassle of having
them order one and then not liking it when I finally get my hands on
it.

Brian
___________________________
Logic Audio Platinum 6.3.3
PowerMac G4 933MHz
OS X 10.3.2
1 GB RAM
M-Audio Delta 24/96
(fed via S/PDIF from a
Yamaha DSP Factory)

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Orren Merton
2004-02-24 08:01:26 UTC
Post by Brian Pylant
I still have to say (and hopefully the Mr. Merton is listening - I know
he's on the LUG) that providing some sample pages online would be a
great sales boost... my local bookstores don't carry any of the Logic
books, and I don't really feel like going through the hassle of having
them order one and then not liking it when I finally get my hands on
it.
Hi Brian,

I have passed along these suggestions, so we'll see what they do with
them.

I know this isn't ideally what you (and others) have asked for, but at
least its something: a basic "chapter only" table of contents is
available on the publisher's page:
http://www.muskalipman.com/ptr_detail.cfm?
group=Music%20Technology&subcat=Audio%2FMIDI%20Recording%20and%20Product
ion&bf=0&isbn=1%2D59200%2D128%2D9#toc

Hope this helps!

And thanks for the interest. :)

Orren

--
Author of _Logic 6 Power!_
http://shortLink.us/2601

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Brian Pylant
2004-02-26 09:45:18 UTC
Post by Orren Merton
I have passed along these suggestions, so we'll see what they do with
them.
Great, thanks! Hopefully they realize how important this is; Amazon.com
has been doing a phenomenal job in this regard, but unfortunately they
don't have the "Look Inside" feature for your book!
8^(

Brian
Logic Audio Platinum 6.3.3
PowerMac G4 933MHz