Apple buying NI?
kendrickhughes
2005-09-06 05:36:03 UTC
Would'nt that be great just imagine....

A new make your own synth layer and make your own FX layer integrated into the enviroment
in Logic Pro AKA Reaktor 5

replacement of certain plug-ins like guitar amp pro with guitar rig, EXS 24 with kontakt 2,
etc.

MIDIFX creation AKA the script processor in kontakt 2

Apple, Haydn, Lengeling,

How about it? That would make it all the more compelling to buy logic pro and move to the
mac now would'nt it?

-Kendrick

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
darealbasoski
2005-09-06 08:28:56 UTC
Post by kendrickhughes
Would'nt that be great just imagine....
A new make your own synth layer and make your own FX layer integrated into the enviroment
in Logic Pro AKA Reaktor 5
replacement of certain plug-ins like guitar amp pro with guitar rig, EXS 24 with kontakt 2,
etc.
MIDIFX creation AKA the script processor in kontakt 2
Apple, Haydn, Lengeling,
How about it? That would make it all the more compelling to buy logic pro and move to the
mac now would'nt it?
Apple buying the Eiffel Tower, now THAT would be cool!
O.

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
James Richmond
2005-09-06 11:18:49 UTC
Post by kendrickhughes
Would'nt that be great just imagine....
A new make your own synth layer and make your own FX layer
integrated into the enviroment
in Logic Pro AKA Reaktor 5
replacement of certain plug-ins like guitar amp pro with guitar rig, EXS 24 with kontakt 2,
etc.
MIDIFX creation AKA the script processor in kontakt 2
How about it? That would make it all the more compelling to buy logic pro and move to the
mac now would'nt it?
Given how highly speculative this is- how is this any different
really to what we have now?
You can run all these together without a buyout- the changes would be
minimal at best.
And given Apples past histort the NI PC owners would be f*cking
p*ssed off to be sure.
As well as owners of any other sequencing application.
I am totally into Logic but wouldn't want to HAVE to use it all the
time to use Reaktor et al.
I'd quite like to be able to run the ES2 in Live when I use it for
example.

JR

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Sascha Franck
2005-09-06 15:59:31 UTC
Post by James Richmond
And given Apples past histort the NI PC owners would be f*cking
p*ssed off to be sure.
Hear, hear...
Post by James Richmond
I'd quite like to be able to run the ES2 in Live when I use it for
example.
Just so much about "open, documented" standards...
FWIW, I allready sampled the best ES2 patches. Of course I'm losing some realtime tweakability, but they're not working all too bad
though.

Anyways, it'd be completely stupid for a PC-centric company to get bought by Apple.

Also, regarding MIDI plugins: This is *completely* up to Emapple. They just don't manage to update their environment. All the
transformers, arpeggiators, chord memorizers and the likes are still looking 80-ish - and, worst of all, they're still functioning
like that as well. Let alone no 3rd party developer would have the slightest chance to develop a MIDI plugin which could be used in
Logic.
Heck, there's not even rudimentary MIDI support (others than playing back notes and a few modulation routings) in Logics internal
instruments and plugins. No MIDI learn/assign in sight at all. No program changes (which is even working with 3rd party plugins).
So, to the original poster: I suggest you'd rather blame Emapple for those things than suggesting anything completely out of reach.

- Sascha

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Elisa Furr
2005-09-06 16:08:19 UTC
When I purchased my logic 6.3, I never "registered" my plug- ins.
why did I have to register them and why did they expire? Now i cant
use any of them. Stupid question but I dont care... I am a chick
producer so I can get away with it...hehe..
Please help, alias "BOB"

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Chris Coccia
2005-09-06 16:56:54 UTC
Post by Elisa Furr
When I purchased my logic 6.3, I never "registered" my plug- ins.
why did I have to register them and why did they expire? Now i cant
use any of them. Stupid question but I dont care... I am a chick
producer so I can get away with it...hehe..
Please help, alias "BOB"
Well Elisa, that would be because you own Logic 6.3, and not Logic Pro
which includes all of the plugins..
Stupid answer to your stupid question, you never paid for them, time to
upgrade to Logic Pro.

Nice 'I am a chick producer so I can get away with it' attitude too..
Would love to see that fly in a real studio or recording situation hah.
--
Chris

http://www.descentrecords.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Howard Wooten
2005-09-06 19:31:04 UTC
Post by James Richmond
Post by kendrickhughes
Would'nt that be great just imagine....
A new make your own synth layer and make your own FX layer
integrated into the enviroment
in Logic Pro AKA Reaktor 5
replacement of certain plug-ins like guitar amp pro with guitar
rig, EXS 24 with kontakt 2,
etc.
MIDIFX creation AKA the script processor in kontakt 2
How about it? That would make it all the more compelling to buy
logic pro and move to the
mac now would'nt it?
Given how highly speculative this is- how is this any different
really to what we have now? You can run all these together without a
buyout- the changes would be minimal at best. And given Apples past
histort the NI PC owners would be f*cking
p*ssed off to be sure.
Exactly, it would be yet another reason -not- to switch.
Also, this doesn't make much sense considering Apple will be switching to
Intel processors in the not too distant future. The code for the two
platforms will be much closer with Intel/Macs probably being able to run
Windows. I have no doubt that in one form or another, OSX will be available
for PCs.

HW

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Sascha Franck
2005-09-06 23:34:23 UTC
Post by Howard Wooten
I have no doubt that in one form or another, OSX will be available
for PCs.
It allready is.
http://osx86project.org/
Of course that's indeed in "one form or another"...

- Sascha

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Brian Pylant
2005-09-07 03:10:12 UTC
Post by Howard Wooten
I have no doubt that in one form or another, OSX will be available
for PCs.
Actually, I do. I suspect that the opposite -- Windows running on an
Intel-equipped Mac -- is a much more likely scenario. I'm not saying
it won't happen, but I don't think it's as likely as everyone makes
it out to be. Apple is first and foremost a hardware company, and
selling an operating system that doesn't run on their hardware
removes a giant revenue stream from their control.

In regards to Apple buying NI, they can't easily acquire what is not
for sale.

Brian
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Logic Audio Pro 7.1
PowerMac G4 933MHz
OS X 10.4.2
1 GB RAM
MOTU 828mkII
- driver v1.2.5
- CueMix v1.5
- firmware 1.0.1
- bootloader 1.0.1

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
f-erenc szabo
2005-09-07 01:56:20 UTC
Post by kendrickhughes
Would'nt that be great just imagine....
....How about it?
This is how some rumours get started. Somebody just wonders
what it would be like for something to happen (no matter
how unlikely), and then other folks don't pay attention to
the details and assume they've just heard about something
that really might happen. And then they falsely report it
to others who don't have access to the original source....

The media does this sort of thing a lot. Also, they'll make
an outlandish accusation headline but then think they absolve
themselves by putting a question mark at the end of it, as in:
Bill Gates Eats Puppies?

f-erenc szabo, smarty pants
Z+E+R+O+B+E+A+T
"NOW POWERED BY THE MIRACLE OF THE TRANSISTOR!"
<http://home.goodmedia.com/~zerobeat>

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Joaquin Medina
2005-09-13 07:36:22 UTC
Hello.
I've recently buyed an Presonus Firebox in Ebay, and I lke it. I own
also a RME fireface, and I´ve recently buyed an Mobile IO 2882 at a good
price in Ebay also. I don´t know about the M-audio firewire 410, but the
Firebox is a good sounding box andI have no problems with it. Usually I
use it with latency adjusted to 256 samples, but I think than it work
well when adjusted at 128 samples. When I test it I'll report to this list.
My opinion about this intefaces :
the Mobile IO is the best sounding, the Multiface is in second position,
and the Firebox is in third position, but with a good sound.
I´m going to sell the Multiface ( a very good interface but for mobility
the Firebox and the Mobile IO are more flexible, they have mic pres and
both are bus powered), and I´m going to retain the Mobile IO and the
Firebox for use with my G5 and wiht my Powerbook. For mobility the
Firebox is the winner if you don´t need more than two mic pres and two
line inputs.
Regards.

Quino

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Doug Slick
2005-09-13 12:18:01 UTC
Post by Joaquin Medina
I've recently buyed an Presonus Firebox in Ebay, and I lke it.
<snip> the
Firebox is a good sounding box
Hi Quino,

I recently started using the Firebox here and I have only one
gripe. When I first power up my Mac (G4 Powerbook, OS 10.3.9) won't
recognize the Firebox. Before every session, I have to yank the
firewire and then re-plug it. Everything works great from then on.

Strange. Took me days to figure out what the problem there
was at first. I almost sent it back for a replacement until I
stumbled on this work around...
--
Doug

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Paul Najar
2005-09-13 22:58:09 UTC
Post by Joaquin Medina
Hello.
I've recently buyed an Presonus Firebox in Ebay, and I lke it. I own
also a RME fireface, and I´ve recently buyed an Mobile IO 2882 at a good
price in Ebay also. I don´t know about the M-audio firewire 410, but the
Firebox is a good sounding box andI have no problems with it.
Usually I
use it with latency adjusted to 256 samples, but I think than it work
well when adjusted at 128 samples.
I recently started using the Firebox here and I have only one
gripe. When I first power up my Mac (G4 Powerbook, OS 10.3.9) won't
recognize the Firebox. Before every session, I have to yank the
firewire and then re-plug it. Everything works great from then on.
Strange. Took me days to figure out what the problem there
was at first. I almost sent it back for a replacement until I
stumbled on this work around...
Thanks for the real world reports Quino & Doug.

I was just wondering weather either of you have done much softsynth
playing from a keyboard with the FireBox and Logic set to 128 sample
buffer? I see Quino mentioned 256 samples....

Didi it work well or were there clicks & pops?

Thanks

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Paul Najar
Jaminajar Music Production
www.jaminajar.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Doug Slick
2005-09-14 00:04:20 UTC
Post by Paul Najar
Thanks for the real world reports Quino & Doug.
I was just wondering weather either of you have done much softsynth
playing from a keyboard with the FireBox and Logic set to 128 sample
buffer? I see Quino mentioned 256 samples....
Didi it work well or were there clicks & pops?
Thanks
Paul Najar
Jaminajar Music Production
www.jaminajar.com
Hi Paul,

I got 7.1 over the summer and I have just started using the
softsynths live and have been having a great time. No clicks, pops
or latency. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure what my sample
buffer is set to. I'll look into that...

Still a little glitchy as far as some performance aspects. I
have too much back and forth between the PowerBook and my keyboard to
get a sound called up. Still working on that...

The B3 sounds are *killer* though. Far superior to the
samples and factory stuff I was working with on my Kurzweil K2000 so
I'm willing to work out some modifications to my current setup if it
allows me to use those sounds.

The FireBox seems great except for the bug about the
PowerBook recognizing it on boot.
--
Doug

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Paul Najar
2005-09-14 05:04:01 UTC
Post by Doug Slick
I got 7.1 over the summer and I have just started using the
softsynths live and have been having a great time. No clicks, pops
or latency. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure what my sample
buffer is set to. I'll look into that...
Still a little glitchy as far as some performance aspects. I
have too much back and forth between the PowerBook and my keyboard to
get a sound called up. Still working on that...
The B3 sounds are *killer* though. Far superior to the
samples and factory stuff I was working with on my Kurzweil K2000 so
I'm willing to work out some modifications to my current setup if it
allows me to use those sounds.
Hi Doug. Thanks for that. I appreciate it. It would be great to know
what sample buffer you're working at for live playing. It's in the
audio driver section of Logic. I'm hoping you've been happy at 128
samples - which is what I've been playing the Powerbook at using it's
own audio output.

I also love the EVB3 and also run the EVP88 and a couple of EXS
instruments - a big piano and a big string instrument. Both these are
a about a GB of samples each and feed into their own Space Designer -
and I use EXS virtual memory for them both.

The fact that native systems plugins and instruments don't hog DSP
when loaded and not in use is a godsend.

Regards

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Doug Slick
2005-09-15 03:26:41 UTC
Post by Paul Najar
Hi Doug. Thanks for that. I appreciate it. It would be great to know
what sample buffer you're working at for live playing. It's in the
audio driver section of Logic. I'm hoping you've been happy at 128
samples - which is what I've been playing the Powerbook at using it's
own audio output.
Hey Paul,

Just whacked out a few notes. Definite clicks & pops at 64
samples but sounds good so far at 128. :-)
--
Doug

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Paul Najar
2005-09-15 10:23:30 UTC
Post by Doug Slick
Post by Paul Najar
Hi Doug. Thanks for that. I appreciate it. It would be great to know
what sample buffer you're working at for live playing. It's in the
audio driver section of Logic. I'm hoping you've been happy at 128
samples - which is what I've been playing the Powerbook at using it's
own audio output.
Hey Paul,
Just whacked out a few notes. Definite clicks & pops at 64
samples but sounds good so far at 128. :-)
Interesting! Thanks

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Doug Slick
2005-09-15 03:10:39 UTC
Post by Paul Najar
Hi Doug. Thanks for that. I appreciate it. It would be great to know
what sample buffer you're working at for live playing. It's in the
audio driver section of Logic. I'm hoping you've been happy at 128
samples - which is what I've been playing the Powerbook at using it's
own audio output.
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the heads up on this. I hadn't even looked at
this yet. I was set at 512 samples but I'm going to experiment with
lowering that to see what happens.

I'll letcha know what happens. Glancing at my calendar, I
won't have this rig on a job for a few weeks but I'll be working
with it here on a regular basis.
--
Doug

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Matt McKenzie-Smith
2005-09-14 02:23:27 UTC
Post by Paul Najar
Thanks for the real world reports Quino & Doug.
I was just wondering weather either of you have done much softsynth
playing from a keyboard with the FireBox and Logic set to 128 sample
buffer? I see Quino mentioned 256 samples....
Didi it work well or were there clicks & pops?
I have done a bit of this Paul. I bought a Firebox as another
portable alternative, though I haven't used it for that much as yet.
It is, however, sitting on my ol' Digital Audio DP533 and I must say
it works a treat at 256 running LogicPro and will run at 128 no
problem, though the ol' Mac starts to struggle. I did use to run the
Multiface on that Mac and it used to work down to 64 samples, but
most of the time under OSX, I ran it at 128. OS9, I always had it at 64.
The Firebox sounds great and I don't suffer the boot problem that was
mentioned earlier in this thread, either on that ol' Mac or my 1.5G
17"Powerbook.

Best Regards,
Matt
MATT MCKENZIE-SMITH
MUSIC • AUDIO DESIGN • PRODUCTION
PO Box 10395, Adelaide 5000, South Australia.
Ph.+61 416 197 883
goodaudiosense.com.au
mattrixx.net

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Paul Najar
2005-09-14 05:18:31 UTC
Post by Matt McKenzie-Smith
I have done a bit of this Paul. I bought a Firebox as another
portable alternative, though I haven't used it for that much as yet.
It is, however, sitting on my ol' Digital Audio DP533 and I must say
it works a treat at 256 running LogicPro and will run at 128 no
problem, though the ol' Mac starts to struggle. I did use to run the
Multiface on that Mac and it used to work down to 64 samples, but
most of the time under OSX, I ran it at 128. OS9, I always had it at 64.
The Firebox sounds great and I don't suffer the boot problem that was
mentioned earlier in this thread, either on that ol' Mac or my 1.5G
17"Powerbook.
Hooray! Finally I'm starting to get some reliable real world reports
about the FireBox. It's very hard to find one in a shop to try out.
And even better that you're a multiface user like me Matt as it gives
us a common frame of reference.

Would you say the converters sound as good as the Multiface? I DL'd
the FireBox Mixer app and it doesn't appear to be anywhere near as
flexible as the HDSP mixer. It appears as though it misses the layer
of virtual outputs from your app (Logic) to the mixer itself and it
appears that the only way to address the separate outs is via Logic
itself. Is that true?

Also it looks as though that the physical inputs on the interface are
only assignable to one pair of outputs at any one time - unlike the
Multiface where you can send one pair of inputs independently to as
many outs as you choose. Is this correct?

None of these limitations are an issue for me for live playing or
location recording etc, I'm just making sure I get the architecture
of the device properly.

Kind regards

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Blair Fisher
2005-09-14 05:33:52 UTC
Message: 14
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:13:16 -0700
Subject: Re: Markers
I was kind of bummed out about the lack of Marker feature in Logic 7
Express (since I used Markers a lot back in the days of Logic Gold
4.8.x....). However, I was informed this weekend that Logic 7 Express
to 7.1 Upgrade (available from Apple for $19.95) does include Markers
as an added feature. I should be receiving the disc next week, so
I'll know if L7.1E will have that Marker feature....
-Mo
I'd like to find that out, Mo - if you or anybody else gets that upgrade. I
use Pro myself, but we have a lab with Express on all the computers, and it
would be worth paying for upgrades if features like markers were added.

Blair
--
blairfisher-***@public.gmane.org

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Mo
2005-09-14 06:27:31 UTC
Post by Blair Fisher
I'd like to find that out, Mo - if you or anybody else gets that upgrade. I
use Pro myself, but we have a lab with Express on all the computers, and it
would be worth paying for upgrades if features like markers were added.
Blair
I should be receiving the L7.1E discs in about a week, but in the
meantime, the upgrade info on the Apple site is here. Hopefully, the
Markers feature in L7.1E is not some watered-down implementation of the
real thing....

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?
productLearnMore=M9987ZM/A

-Mo

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Mo
2005-09-15 15:24:14 UTC
Post by Mo
Post by Blair Fisher
I'd like to find that out, Mo - if you or anybody else gets that upgrade. I
use Pro myself, but we have a lab with Express on all the computers, and it
would be worth paying for upgrades if features like markers were added.
Blair
I should be receiving the L7.1E discs in about a week, but in the
meantime, the upgrade info on the Apple site is here. Hopefully, the
Markers feature in L7.1E is not some watered-down implementation of the
real thing....
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?
productLearnMore=M9987ZM/A
-Mo
Just received the L7.1 Express upgrade DVD. There is a Markers feature,
although very stripped down and basic. One can option-command click on
the bar area and write in markers. One can also control-command on an
existing marker to edit marker name. That is the extent of the Markers
feature in L7.1 Express. There are no useful Marker List like back in
the days of LAG 4.8 Gold....

Having said that, the Markers feature is useful. Especially since with
markers, one can go from one section to the next by clicking Fast
Forward/Rewind buttons from the Transport window. That alone is a
timesaver.

-Mo

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Pelle Fridell
2005-09-14 14:07:27 UTC
Post by Paul Najar
[...]
I can recommend both the RME Fireface and MOTU traveller. Both runs
fine on PB 1.33 and G5 2*2, even at 64 samples.
Traveller runs buspowered, Fireface gives more routing possibilities
and in/out.
Going to record a bigband live tomorrow using both interfaces
combined. Tested my setup today and could record 50 tracks 44,1/24
using L7 and the PB. Though, would not rely on that setup for 50
tracks...

I would choose an interface many other people use.... (pay more cry
once:-) ) (But ofcourse, that's why you ask here on LUG:-))
For live, the PB's built in soundcard could work fine. Just some good
cable converter and disable the systems-sounds.....

Best regards,
Pelle Fridell

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Paul Najar
2005-09-15 00:48:35 UTC
Post by Pelle Fridell
Hi,
I can recommend both the RME Fireface and MOTU traveller. Both runs
fine on PB 1.33 and G5 2*2, even at 64 samples.
Traveller runs buspowered, Fireface gives more routing possibilities
and in/out.
Going to record a bigband live tomorrow using both interfaces
combined. Tested my setup today and could record 50 tracks 44,1/24
using L7 and the PB. Though, would not rely on that setup for 50
tracks...
I would choose an interface many other people use.... (pay more cry
once:-) ) (But ofcourse, that's why you ask here on LUG:-))
For live, the PB's built in soundcard could work fine. Just some good
cable converter and disable the systems-sounds.....
Thanks for the response Pelle.

I've been using the built in audio output happily. The reason for
wanting an interfcae is because I've been faced with a decision to
get a new live mixer to mix the Powerbook and my other synth together
and being allergic to things like little Berhinger mixers I though
that for a few more dollars I might get something like the FireBox
that will allow me to sub mix my synth outs and at the same time gain
the benefit of higher quality output, the possiblility to run a mic
for live vocoding, midi I/O and a small mobile recording interface in
the deal - a very enticing solution I felt.

I tried the Traveller and was very impressed but I surely don't need
all that I/O and extra features plus it's about twice the price of
the FireBox which offers plentiful I/O for my needs and by all
accounts sounds very good - I just haven't been able to try it.

I am also very familiar with the RME products. I love them. But the
fireface is massive overkill for my needs and around four time the
price of the FireBox and twice the price of even the Traveller - thus
my desire to see if I'll be happy with the FireBox.

Regards

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

John Pitcairn
2005-09-15 01:39:26 UTC
Post by Paul Najar
and being allergic to things like little Berhinger mixers
Don't be. In my experience, the _little_ mixers are something that
Behringer does pretty well. I have used a couple of them (UB1002,
UB8002, thinking about the battery-powerable one) and they are
excellent little problem-solvers.

John Pitcairn

LC Xmu Logic Control emulation, LC Xview software LC/MC display,
Logic environments & stuff: http://www.opuslocus.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Adam Brinkmann
2005-09-15 04:39:26 UTC
Thought I recently read a post saying Tiger and Pro 6 weren't
compatible. Can anyone comment on this? Things are running smoothly
for me in Logic 6.4.3 running OS 10.3.9 on a G4 Dual 867/1.25 GB Ram.

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
john holden
2005-09-16 16:32:11 UTC
Post by Adam Brinkmann
Thought I recently read a post saying Tiger and Pro
6 weren't
compatible. Can anyone comment on this? Things are
running smoothly
for me in Logic 6.4.3 running OS 10.3.9 on a G4 Dual
867/1.25 GB Ram.
I use Logic 6.4.3 as well and run it in Tiger 10.4.2
on a dual boot 1.25 Ghz x2 G4. So far I haven't had
any problems. I use 3 M-Audio R-bus cards on a Roland
system. ( Tiger allows for multiple cards finally (
1st OSX to do so) and M-Audio updated the drivers for
the R-bus cards) I updated to Tiger after installing
Logic Pro 6.4.3 in 10.3.9. removing the old drivers
and then iinstalling the new ones. It's working for me
and always boots up ( so far) . All the plugs work
fine. if you have already been able to run Logic 6.4.3
on OS 10.3.9 then based on my experience with the
functions I use in Logic and Tiger you should have no
problem. You may be running different hardware and
there may be a compatibility problem with drivers for
your particular setup with Tiger( different cards etc)
. If you have another drive available to you then load
Tiger and Logic on that as a test. If it has issues
then at least you still have a functional version on
10.3.9. Install Logic without the usb key then on
reboot insert the key.

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Chris Coccia
2005-09-16 17:03:20 UTC
Post by john holden
fine. if you have already been able to run Logic 6.4.3
on OS 10.3.9 then based on my experience with the
functions I use in Logic and Tiger you should have no
problem.
Not true. Try opening up the Metronome Settings for one using Logic 6.4
under Tiger.. And make sure youve saved your song hehe.
Apple wont even bother supporting or answering questions either.
Theyll tell you its unsupported and you need to upgrade to Logic 7.
I didnt hit any other bugs other than the Metronome, but there maybe
more depending on how much of the app you actually use.

Paul Najar
2005-09-15 11:08:35 UTC
Post by John Pitcairn
Post by Paul Najar
and being allergic to things like little Berhinger mixers
Don't be. In my experience, the _little_ mixers are something that
Behringer does pretty well. I have used a couple of them (UB1002,
UB8002, thinking about the battery-powerable one) and they are
excellent little problem-solvers.
Hmm. Interesting John. As if this live interface/ mixer/ problem
solver decision has not been hard enough now you tell me this. Spose
I could stop fussing and get a little $100 mixer but I'm hoping to
get more functionality than this can supply. With the honest reports
from fellows on this list it's looking like the FireBox may be it.
We'll see....

Regards

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Peter Ostry
2005-09-15 15:08:57 UTC
Post by John Pitcairn
Post by Paul Najar
and being allergic to things like little Berhinger mixers
Don't be. In my experience, the _little_ mixers are something that
Behringer does pretty well.
Confirmed. I have a tiny 802 here, now as monitor mixer. Quite solid,
I think you can walk over it. I had just to fix the power cable
because the mixer spits it out whenever it can.

For little more money you can have about the same thing from Yamaha
(MG10/2). For that there is an optional micstand adapter available
(about $30).

___
Peter Ostry

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
cowudders
2005-09-14 15:25:41 UTC
Can anybody confirm that, when switching screensets, every window
spreaded across 2 monitors gets reduced to '1 monitor size'?
you must set the main monitor to left side.
HI Peter,
How the hell did you figure this out?
Thanks a bunch (& olles guade).

thanks for testing, guys.

cheers,
bernd

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Matt McKenzie-Smith
2005-09-14 22:25:53 UTC
Post by Paul Najar
[...]
Paul, your assumptions are correct. The Mixer prog is very basic, but
does what it claims to do very well. As I said, I haven't done any
really tricky routing stuff with it yet. Also, I cannot directly
compare the Multiface with the Firebox, as my Multiface is in my G5
in town.
I would say however, that if they are not as good, I think they would
be very very close. The differences might, for example, come from the
electronics surrounding them. Though, as I said, I have not done a
direct comparison, but I am very pleased with the Firebox, especially
when you consider the price. It certainly is a great bit of kit for
the application that you suggest you would be using it for.

Paul Najar
2005-09-15 00:53:02 UTC
Post by Matt McKenzie-Smith
Paul, your assumptions are correct. The Mixer prog is very basic, but
does what it claims to do very well. As I said, I haven't done any
really tricky routing stuff with it yet. Also, I cannot directly
compare the Multiface with the Firebox, as my Multiface is in my G5
in town.
I would say however, that if they are not as good, I think they would
be very very close. The differences might, for example, come from the
electronics surrounding them. Though, as I said, I have not done a
direct comparison, but I am very pleased with the Firebox, especially
when you consider the price. It certainly is a great bit of kit for
the application that you suggest you would be using it for.
Thanks Matt. I appreciate it.

I'm feeling like I'm gonna give this thing a go...

Regards

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

quino
2005-09-15 08:20:02 UTC
Well. I´ve also realized a little test:
a 25 seconds project with 6-7 instances of Absynth 3 (In Logic 7.1)
with my Titanium 1 Ghz Powerbook:
The CPU meters are between 85-100%: at 128 samples the Firebox perform
perfectly with a good sound, If I change to 64 samples this project run
fine also, but in my current real, and just begun project, (with 2-3
audio tracks and 2 virtual instruments (EFM and Kontakt 2) I get a
distorted sound with a buffer of 64, but run fine at 128 samples, (this
is the same behavior than I observed with my Multiface).
About the sound quality I think than the Multiface converters are better
than the Firebox converters, but the Firebox sound nice also.
The Firebox mixer is very simple compated with the RME Totalmix, but
this utility works correctly. You only can assign the mixer output to a
stereo pair , but the mixer can work simultaneously with Logic (with
Logic you can use all the Firebox outputs). One little incovenience is :
with the Firebox control (user for adjust the Firebox clock source),
sometimes you need change twice the settings (internal of SPDIF), but
is a a little inconvenience only. If you visit www.presonus.com you can
see the screen of the Firebox mixer and Firebox Control utilities: you
don´t need more, they are auto explanatory.
Regards.
IIIIII II II II IIIIII IIIIII Joaquin Medina Villena
II II II II II II II II II Serv.Informatica. Univ. de Granada
IIIIII IIIII II II II IIIIII Dept. Lenguajes y Sist. Informaticos
II E-mail: quino-***@public.gmane.org

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Paul Najar
2005-09-15 11:25:53 UTC
Post by quino
[...]
Good one Quino. Thank you. I'm feeling very confident about this
purchase meeting my needs. I actually downloaded the FireBox
software. It booted up even with a firebox. You're right it's all
very clear now.

Kind regards

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

cowudders
2005-09-15 11:21:49 UTC
No way f-erenc. I've been doing the dual monitor one window thing
back in version 5 or 6 and OS 9.
Same here. Windows and mac.
As Peter found out, it has something to do with the 'dragging the
menubar' thing in display preferences,
at least on OSX.
I have a Geforce with two digital outs: a standard DVI one and Apple's
DVI (don't remember the name).
To get Logic 7.1 remember the 'big window'(across 2 monitors) I have
two connect the left monitor to the 'Apple-DVI'
output. This is the one, that always shows the apple on boot, so it
seems to be the preferred by the OS (might be a P-RAM/BIOS thing).

Abbreviation: Just look where the apple is on startup, place this
monitor on the left side and make it your main monitor.

thanks to all again,
cheers,
bernd

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Jonathan Perl
2005-09-15 11:55:06 UTC
Could someone verify that is you have SMPTE
locked markers visible in the Global Track,
attempts to lock/unlock regions SMPTE fail?
Yes! But I didn't realize that it was related to having the global
tracks open. I'll have to check this out! I have also experienced
worse weirdness when trying to unlock: namely some note events
moving...

**

Here's another very nasty issue with locking and tempo's: Track
Automation doesn't get locked! So you end up with all your automation
shifted away from where it is supposed to be. You have to lock the
track automation separately. For most users, this means that you have
to go to each track, open the Automation List editor, Select Al, and
Lock. For those of us who remember having access to the "Automation
Folder" View, which was taken away by Apple, there is a hidden way to
still get to it - this allow me to do Select All once for the whole
Arrange, and lock all automation. (See below)

However, there needs to be a coherent way to deal with this issue
intelligently.

Here's how to get the Automation Folder view:
-Set up a screenset with an Arrange and Hyperdraw.
-Contents-Link the Hyperdraw to the Arrange.
-Open a Tack Automation List view of one of the track's automation in
the Arrange, and select and event. (This causes the Hyperdraw to
display those events).
-Press the little "up-one-level" box i the upper-left corner of the
Hyperdraw window, and that window is now an Automation Folder view,
where Regions containing Track Automation are displayed in an Arrange
window . . .

To lock all Track Automation, Select All in this window and Lock. What
a nasty, workaround to have to do!

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Jonathan Perl
Sonic Arts Center @ CCNY
http://sonic.arts.ccny.cuny.edu/
"Make Sound Your World"
Apple Certified Trainer - Logic Pro
*** *** *** ***

----------

*** *** *** ***

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Paul Millard
2005-09-15 09:01:58 UTC
Just getting an idea of what your favourite Mic is, - Neumann U87,
AKG? etc. I'm using Rode NT2 which is good, will using high end mics
make huge difference to overall results? Using MOTU 828 Mk II with G5
& Logic Pro 7 .1

many thanks,

Paul.

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Peter Ostry
2005-09-15 15:16:18 UTC
Post by Paul Millard
Just getting an idea of what your favourite Mic is, - Neumann U87,
AKG? etc. I'm using Rode NT2 which is good, will using high end mics
make huge difference to overall results?
I think a mic in the class you are talking about makes a difference
if you have the room and the preamp for it. Otherwise a cheaper
condenser can do the job very well. I don't have a good room, the
preamp is a Yamaha mixer and I am happy with AKG 3000 and 1000 for
acoustic guitar and male voice.

___
Peter Ostry

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Tim McLane
2005-09-15 16:00:29 UTC
Post by Peter Ostry
Post by Paul Millard
Just getting an idea of what your favourite Mic is, - Neumann U87,
AKG? etc. I'm using Rode NT2 which is good, will using high end mics
make huge difference to overall results?
I think a mic in the class you are talking about makes a difference
if you have the room and the preamp for it. Otherwise a cheaper
condenser can do the job very well. I don't have a good room, the
preamp is a Yamaha mixer and I am happy with AKG 3000 and 1000 for
acoustic guitar and male voice.
My favorite mic by a long shot is the Neumann U47 with any number of
pre-amps (with the conditions described above).

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Per Boysen
2005-09-15 21:17:52 UTC
Post by Paul Millard
Just getting an idea of what your favourite Mic is, - Neumann U87,
AKG? etc. I'm using Rode NT2 which is good, will using high end mics
make huge difference to overall results?
They all sound different! When I was working under a record deal I
had access to all kind of vintage gear, owned by the record label.
One day an engineer handed me two Neumann U69 to check out. They
sounded better than anything I had heard so far! The U87 I had bought
to the studio (for the record label's money) sounded like crap to my
ears after that day ;-) Now I do most recordings with AKG C414 B-
TL2. Not because it's the best, but because I had to pay for it
myself and because it's a good all round mic.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
---> iTunes Music Store (digital)
www.cdbaby.com/perboysen

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
John Debo
2005-09-15 22:17:47 UTC
Post by Paul Millard
Just getting an idea of what your favourite Mic is, - Neumann U87,
AKG? etc. I'm using Rode NT2 which is good, will using high end mics
make huge difference to overall results?
Using an AKG C414B-XLS here. It's an excellent all around mic for the $.

Best,
JD

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
John Pitcairn
2005-09-15 23:15:59 UTC
On the cheap, general-purpose:

Shure SM57 - needs a fairly decent preamp to really shine. Good with
the Fireface pres. Not so good with cheapo mixer pres.

Studio Projects B1 - OK, it's no high-end Neumann, but at under $100
it's a terrific guitar and general purpose cardioid LDC. Really. I'm
probably gonna buy another one.

Rob DeBoer
2005-09-15 16:57:16 UTC
Post by Paul Millard
Just getting an idea of what your favourite Mic is, - Neumann U87,
AKG? etc. I'm using Rode NT2 which is good, will using high end mics
make huge difference to overall results? Using MOTU 828 Mk II with G5
& Logic Pro 7 .1
I'm loving my Studio Projects C1 these days. It's nice and cheap, and
sounds great on everything I've tried it on - vocals, brass, guitars,
various soft percussion instruments. It's very clean and uncolored.

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
K9 Kai Niggemann
2005-09-15 21:45:40 UTC
Post by Paul Millard
Just getting an idea of what your favourite Mic is, - Neumann U87,
AKG? etc. I'm using Rode NT2 which is good, will using high end mics
make huge difference to overall results? Using MOTU 828 Mk II with G5
& Logic Pro 7 .1
I haven't worked with mics all that much. Neumann TLM 147, Røde NTK
and Audio Technica 4033 and 4051.

overall I think that there is a huge difference between a 100EUR mic
(such as the China-made models everyone seems to offer these days)
and a 300-600 EUR mic (duh!).

then the difference becomes less obvious, for another 1000 EUR or so...

What I mean to sa is: if you want a good mic and are looking for
something for everyday use in a project or home studio, go for Røde
and the likes.

If you need something better than that, be prepared to spend *a lot* more.

Go to a store with a friend (preferably a singer or trained speaker)
and listen to him/her on headphones through several mics through the
same preamp. you'll hear a big difference between most mics.

get one that sounds nice to you and work your way up from there.
Things become much easier once you know one mic from working with it.

hope this helps...

kai
canine_at_waf80_dot_de good night europe.
http://kainiggemann.de <your name here>

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
oliver
2005-09-16 08:31:55 UTC
Post by Paul Millard
Just getting an idea of what your favourite Mic is, - Neumann U87,
AKG? etc. I'm using Rode NT2 which is good, will using high end mics
make huge difference to overall results? Using MOTU 828 Mk II with G5
& Logic Pro 7 .1
Hello

all the mic´s named here are good microphones, but if you want to get
the most out of your recording, it is really necessary to use a good
preamp.
It´s a big difference if you connect your mic directly to your daw or
into a micpreamp first.
check out, spl gainstation, focousrite isa, or avalon.

i hope this helps too

oliver

djraw®

wild wild web: www.djraw.de
electronic mail: djraw-***@public.gmane.org

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
HKC
2005-09-16 09:08:49 UTC
Oliver wrote: It´s a big difference if you connect your mic directly to your
daw or into a micpreamp first.

No doubt about it and you should also decide whether you need a
multipatterned mic or just a cardiod. The latter is cheaper and in most
cases what you will need but if you need to record something that include
more than one source like a choir you may want an omni or fig8 pattern as
well.

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Clive Young
2005-09-16 10:17:57 UTC
It also depends on what type of voice/instrument you primarily record.
If you plan to use one mic for everything I would suggest something
anonymous and bright like the Rhodes. U47 is a fantastic mic but not
necessarily suitable for every application. If you save on the mic
perhaps you can get a couple of pre's to change your sound around. It's
very useful to have different sonic "footprints" in your mix,
particularly if you're stacking a lot of vocals and BVs in the same mix
with same mic and pre. It's worth considering getting a very cheap mic,
maybe even just a 58 or 57 for BVs just to break it up a bit.
Cheers
Clive Young

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
challam
2005-09-16 03:38:33 UTC
Post by Paul Millard
will using high end mics
make huge difference to overall results?
No. What will make a huge difference is having a variety of mics to
suit different applications. The K2 is great but have a matchet pair of
small condensers also,eg Rode NT5's, Octavias or AKG 451's. Then have a
few good dynamics ,eg EV RE20's or Senhizer 421's. Then get one good
ribbon

Chris Hallam
Sound Technician
Presbyterian Ladies College
Ph: 0409 194486

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
HKC
2005-09-16 07:22:50 UTC
A good mic makes a lot of difference no matter what room you're in but of
course the room-sounds will affect the result. Find a "dead/sweet" spot and
record there if you want that close, in-you-face sound. I doubt that the
pricegap between the Rode and the Neumann can be justified except if you
have commercial interests, the Neumanns being very much a standard that you
just got to have. I have both and I often use the NTK because on many
occasions it does a better job (but of course not always).
One thing to be aware of concerning cheap tube mics, cheaper than Rode, like
the chinese ones. Many of them will distort when you sing loudly into them.
I borrowed the SE Electronics 5600 at some point just to check it out and it
sounded terrific on soft vocals but couldn't handle rock'n roll at all. The
Rode NTK handles this perfectly and so does the Neumann M147 so it does seem
that it's part of the cheap price and definately not a feature.

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
RockyRoad
2005-09-16 23:15:50 UTC
Post by Paul Millard
Just getting an idea of what your favourite Mic is, - Neumann U87,
AKG? etc. I'm using Rode NT2 which is good, will using high end mics
make huge difference to overall results? Using MOTU 828 Mk II with G5
& Logic Pro 7 .1
many thanks,
Large Diaphragm: I started with two Rode NT2's (still got em). Mainly
use a Neumann TLM103 now

Small Diaphragm: Started with two AT 4041's, and now also have two
Neumann KM184's.

Happy with them all, but I won't be buying any more until I get a
better preamp to get more out of them.
--
Rocky Road - in Oz

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica,
leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest, for a shining
planet known as Earth."

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Jonathan Perl
2005-09-15 13:17:07 UTC
Post by Jonathan Perl
Could someone verify that is you have SMPTE
locked markers visible in the Global Track,
attempts to lock/unlock regions SMPTE fail?
Yes! But I didn't realize that it was related to having the global
tracks open. I'll have to check this out! I have also experienced
worse weirdness when trying to unlock: namely some note events
moving...
I just checked this out again. Global tracks open or closed doesn't
seem to matter here. Certain events (typically non-note MIDI events),
just seem to get stuck in lock mode.

*** *** *** ***

Nick Batzdorf
2005-09-15 14:29:33 UTC
Can anybody confirm that, when switching screensets, every window
spreaded across 2 monitors gets reduced to '1 monitor size'?
No, I have Environment mixers in my Autoload that span both monitors.

I wonder whether you just haven't locked your screensets?

Nick Batzdorf, editor/publisher
Virtual Instruments magazine - the world of softsynths and samplers
www.Virtualinstrumentsmag.com
1-877 VImagzn (846-2496)
818/905-9101, cell 590-9101

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
cowudders
2005-09-15 14:46:15 UTC
This is my customized Metric Halo ULN2, it does make a big difference,
as the original knobs were a bit of a let down.
nice idea, looks cool!
replace the Monitor + Headphone pots with
smoother ones, the originals have steps,
which makes them not so precise/accurate - unless you use the console.
But since the ULN2 is the only piece of hardware I have left now, this
will be priority for me.
I think stepped pots are more accurate, no?
Anyway, let us know, how it works out!

Did you post this on the MIO list?

cheers,
bernd

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
LG
2005-09-15 21:37:24 UTC
Post by cowudders
This is my customized Metric Halo ULN2, it does make a big difference,
as the original knobs were a bit of a let down.
nice idea, looks cool!
Thanks, I appreciate.
Post by cowudders
http://topfloormix.com/misc/lg's_uln2.jpg
My next job will be to
replace the Monitor + Headphone pots with
smoother ones, the originals have steps,
which makes them not so precise/accurate - unless you use the console.
But since the ULN2 is the only piece of hardware I have left now, this
will be priority for me.
I think stepped pots are more accurate, no?
Not at all, why would it be? It is the opposite in fact, as the jumps are bigger,
it is less accurate. To make it easy to understand: IF you have 10 steps and each
increase by 2 db, you go from 0 to 20 in "10 turns !", if it is continuous, you will
be able to get far more control + precision. i.e: 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 db and so on... I hope
I made it easy to understand, let me know if you were trying to explain something
different. As far as I know, it is hard to "lock" a knob between two steps, while you can
clearly hear that is only limited by the pot itself - not the software.
Post by cowudders
Anyway, let us know, how it works out!
Do you have a UNL2?
Post by cowudders
Did you post this on the MIO list?
No I haven't. Could show them the link to the photo please, if you go there?
I've already shown my idea to Metric Halo a couple of months ago, they liked it.
Post by cowudders
https://mail.music.vt.edu/mailman/listinfo/mobileio
I can see that you have to subscribe... to many forums these days;-)
Post by cowudders
cheers,
bernd
LG - www.topfloormix.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Nick Batzdorf
2005-09-15 14:33:55 UTC
Post by cowudders
As Peter found out, it has something to do with the 'dragging the
menubar' thing in display preferences,
at least on OSX.
I have a Geforce with two digital outs: a standard DVI one and Apple's
DVI (don't remember the name).
To get Logic 7.1 remember the 'big window'(across 2 monitors) I have
two connect the left monitor to the 'Apple-DVI'
output. This is the one, that always shows the apple on boot, so it
seems to be the preferred by the OS (might be a P-RAM/BIOS thing).
Abbreviation: Just look where the apple is on startup, place this
monitor on the left side and make it your main monitor.
Good theory, but my right monitor is the main one and it's connected
to DVI. :)

My left monitor is connected to a KVM switch (VGA).

Eric Oehler
2005-09-15 14:56:56 UTC
Post by Paul Millard
Just getting an idea of what your favourite Mic is, - Neumann U87,
AKG? etc. I'm using Rode NT2 which is good, will using high end mics
make huge difference to overall results? Using MOTU 828 Mk II with G5
& Logic Pro 7 .1
I've got an NT-1 myself, and have had the opportunity to use a few other
reaaaally nice mics. IMHO, the short answer is, yes, high-end mics make a
difference - but there's a law of diminishing returns if you don't have the
rest of the kit to take advantage of it. I don't think spending $2500
on a U87
will help you much if you're plugging it direct into an 828 (although the mkII
has by all accounts better pre's, but my old 828mkI's pre's are pretty
blah). If you've got a good mic pre, though, and a top-notch ADC then
yeah, you'll be
able to squeeze the performance out of a high-end mic. It's kind of a
"weakest
link in the chain" effect.

Eric Oehler / wonko-***@public.gmane.org / www.nulldevice.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Jody Whitesides
2005-09-15 17:02:31 UTC
I'm currently running a mobile solution (powerbook 15" 1.67) with the
Firebox from Presonus. So far very handy, very slick, very compact. I
think the sound quality is great for the little mobile box that it
is. So far, I'm very happy with it. Plug and Play, no drivers to
install, just the mixer is all I ever use for it. I'm using it with
Logic Pro and Ableton Live.

One thing I've learned though is that you should not record to the
internal drive of a powerbook. Apparently there are issues (I guess
in Logic) that recording to it causes corruption of the system. So I
will be bringing an external firewire drive wherever I go.

I have the firebox plugged into the firewire 800 port with a cable
adapter, and the audio drive into the firewire 400. Works great.

Jody
Music that makes your soul happy!
http://jodywhitesides.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
John Pitcairn
2005-09-15 21:55:49 UTC
Post by Jody Whitesides
One thing I've learned though is that you should not record to the
internal drive of a powerbook. Apparently there are issues (I guess
in Logic) that recording to it causes corruption of the system. So I
will be bringing an external firewire drive wherever I go.
No issues here. But I record to a separate _partition_ of my TiBook
internal drive, have done so for some years, all 28 inputs of the
Fireface simultaneously is not a problem.

One thing to watch out for if not partitioned would be large record
files getting close to filling up the drive - the OS X swapfile needs
room to grow, if it runs out of space data will be overwritten. You
want a few GB free at all times. But recording to the system partition
is probably never a good idea except in an emergency.

Paul Najar
2005-09-15 23:54:37 UTC
Post by Jody Whitesides
I'm currently running a mobile solution (powerbook 15" 1.67) with the
Firebox from Presonus. So far very handy, very slick, very compact. I
think the sound quality is great for the little mobile box that it
is. So far, I'm very happy with it. Plug and Play, no drivers to
install, just the mixer is all I ever use for it. I'm using it with
Logic Pro and Ableton Live.
One thing I've learned though is that you should not record to the
internal drive of a powerbook. Apparently there are issues (I guess
in Logic) that recording to it causes corruption of the system. So I
will be bringing an external firewire drive wherever I go.
I have the firebox plugged into the firewire 800 port with a cable
adapter, and the audio drive into the firewire 400. Works great.
Thanks for the report Jody. Do you play many virtual instruments via
midi when you work? Also what sample buffer setting in the audio
driver preferences page do you have Logic set at when playing those
instruments?

Thanks

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

heykaboom
2005-09-16 02:35:21 UTC
I'd like to pile onto this thread with a related question:

I'm running a Presonus Firebox with my 1ghz powerbook and Logic 7.1.
I love the form factor and the mic pres of the Firebox, but I'm not
too fond of the loud, high whine that my powerbook makes whenever the
box is connected. This happens even if I'm running on battery power,
and is amplified when I'm hooked up to my Mackie 1202 and M-Audio BX5
monitors--even when the volume on everything is off!

Has anyone else experienced this? Despite all the advantages of the
Firebox, it's useless to me if I can't fix this problem.

Tia ~ Mike B.

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
John Pitcairn
2005-09-16 03:55:35 UTC
Post by heykaboom
I'm running a Presonus Firebox with my 1ghz powerbook and Logic 7.1.
I love the form factor and the mic pres of the Firebox, but I'm not
too fond of the loud, high whine that my powerbook makes whenever the
box is connected. This happens even if I'm running on battery power,
and is amplified when I'm hooked up to my Mackie 1202 and M-Audio BX5
monitors--even when the volume on everything is off!
Has anyone else experienced this?
You most likely have a ground loop. Common when using low cost (and
not-so-low cost, cough, MOTU) USB and firewire gear with poor internal
grounding schemes or dubious power supply design. Google "ground loop".

cowudders
2005-09-15 18:02:32 UTC
Post by Nick Batzdorf
Post by cowudders
Abbreviation: Just look where the apple is on startup, place this
monitor on the left side and make it your main monitor.
Good theory, but my right monitor is the main one and it's connected
to DVI. :)
where's the apple at startup? On this monitor?

setup: Geforce 9600, OS 10.3.9

gotta (????) go to the bottom of this ... :)

cheers,
bernd

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Towne Music
2005-09-15 20:50:33 UTC
Sept 15th, 4:48pm

just had a look on Line 6 site, looks very promising as both a great mic pre
& as a guitar / bass pre, would be even better if someone makes a Logic
environment like their software so that we could control all of it's
settings & options from within Logic

David Norris-Elye

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Ed Billeaud
2005-09-15 19:50:30 UTC
Post by Paul Millard
Just getting an idea of what your favourite Mic is, - Neumann U87,
AKG? etc. I'm using Rode NT2 which is good, will using high end mics
make huge difference to overall results? Using MOTU 828 Mk II with G5
& Logic Pro 7 .1
Well, better is always better, but the Rode NT2 is actually a very good
sounding mic, excellent for the price. A great pre-amp would make a
bigger difference than a better mic in this case, IMHO. Not to mention
great converters, clean and stable A/C power, and great monitors to
hear the actual differences.
That being said, better is always better, and as one who owns several
Rode models, I nonetheless recently plunked down the bucks for a more
expensive mic, the Mojave Audio MA 200, and I am very happy with it.

Peace,
Ed Billeaud
Snowflake Studio

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
cowudders
2005-09-16 00:44:04 UTC
http://topfloormix.com/misc/lg's_uln2.jpg
Post by cowudders
My next job will be to replace the Monitor + Headphone pots
with smoother ones, the originals have steps, which makes
them not so precise/accurate - unless you use the console.
I think stepped pots are more accurate, no?
Not at all, why would it be? It is the opposite in fact, as the
jumps are bigger, it is less accurate. To make it easy to
understand: IF you have 10 steps and each increase by 2 db, you
go from 0 to 20 in "10 turns !", if it is continuous, you will
be able to get far more control + precision. i.e: 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 db
hi LG,
the software doesn't have anything to do with this anyway.
when you look at the more expensive monitor controllers (passive ones),
they always have stepped pots.
for each step, there's a different set of resistors ... but maybe this
isn't the case with the ULN's.
Post by cowudders
Anyway, let us know, how it works out!
Do you have a UNL2?
offa course :)

i have one and enjoy the way it sounds.

cheers,
bernd

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
LG
2005-09-16 05:23:41 UTC
Post by LG
Post by cowudders
Anyway, let us know, how it works out!
Do you have a UNL2?
offa course :)
i have one and enjoy the way it sounds.
cheers,
bernd
Mackie Big Knob??? Why the knob is so BIG'N SMOOTH ? You tell ME !

LG - www.topfloormix.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
LG
2005-09-16 05:36:26 UTC
One last thing, is 20 steps more accurate enough for you? You are comparing apples and
oranges again, next time you fiddle with a high end "stepped" knobs, please do me a favor
- count the steps ! LOL Let's do a bit of math (a la Einstein), 110 DB divided by 20 steps =
5.5 DB increment. Now 110 DB divided by 90 steps +1.22 DB increments. I am trying to
help you to understand this with my limited English.

LG - www.topfloormix.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
LG
2005-09-16 05:15:43 UTC
Post by LG
Post by cowudders
Anyway, let us know, how it works out!
Do you have a UNL2?
offa course :)
i have one and enjoy the way it sounds.
cheers,
bernd
Well, I don't want to start an argument, I know the ULN2 very well and
I was one of the first to promote it on this forum, I have opened the unit last year +
installed/upgraded to the +DSP - directly liaising with MH - I even had a quote my with
picture for several months on their website !
There is no point in comparing apples with oranges, what you are talking about
is valid for calibration or L/R matching purposes, some high end units have stepped
pots because they benefit from it (mastering EQs and so on) I don't understand why you
think that the ULN2's pots are comparable to those units. I am sorry, I but I have rarely
seen stepped faders on high end consoles. How old are you and how long have you been
fiddling with gears for? Why do you think that the Logic automation + resolution has been
updated over time, and which type do you use for the volume faders, MIDI 0-127 LOL?
I really don't understand why you can't hear + feel the huge increment on the ULN2's
Monitor + Headphone pots. And, I think you didn't understand what I was saying about
software;
The software can be + is the limiting factor. period. Any software has its limitation, if it is
"locked/programmed/designed" and can only offer 2db steps, no matter what you do, you
will only get 2db steps. Do you call the "precision" - I don't !
So, this is the software limitation I was talking about, and said that I could hear a "level"
difference between steps. if you disagree again, i am going to be upset with you, because
up to now - I know what I am talking about, and I would prefer you to email me privately if
you want to take this further;-) LOL.
I don't want to clog up the thread. What do you guys think?

LG - www.topfloormix.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
David Wilson
2005-09-15 23:16:20 UTC
Two questions:
Can't seem to get MP3's to import into Logic, is there a hidden
preference preventing this?
Manual says to do it just as an aiff, and it will convert it and import.
Won't work for me in Logic Pro 7.1, or Logic Express.

I would up with a bunch of duplicate loops in the loop browser -
probably by
importing a folder twice from my backup drive. How can I get rid of
these duplicates?

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
p. strayhorn
2005-09-16 01:10:00 UTC
Post by David Wilson
Can't seem to get MP3's to import into Logic, is
there a hidden
preference preventing this?
Manual says to do it just as an aiff, and it will
convert it and import.
Won't work for me in Logic Pro 7.1, or Logic
Express.
drag and drop into the arrange window works for me .
.it converts automatically

cheers
p.strayhorn

P Strayhorn
=======================
G5 dual 2.5 OSX 10.4.2 Logic Pro 7.1
3.5 GB ram
http://www.musicallmusic.com
=======================

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
David Wilson
2005-09-16 03:21:29 UTC
Is there a way to run Logic thru an 002? Is there a driver for that yet?
Went thru the Digi web site, and seems that the standalone driver
that works for Logic
is to be installed ONLY if you don't have Pro Tools installed -
is anyone using the 002 with Logic? I'm still coming out of external
speaker jack
in the dual 2gig - very sad.
What's my options here?

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
f-erenc szabo
2005-09-16 04:43:15 UTC
Post by David Wilson
Is there a way to run Logic thru an 002?
Yes, using Digi's CoreAudio driver (available at their
website if it's not already installed from their CDROM).

You'll only be able to access the audio i/o, not the controller
surface part. Digi specifically disallows any 3rd party hosts
from supporting any of their controller surfaces.

Matthew Costello
2005-09-16 04:47:00 UTC
Post by David Wilson
Is there a way to run Logic thru an 002? Is there a driver for that yet?
Went thru the Digi web site, and seems that the standalone driver
that works for Logic
is to be installed ONLY if you don't have Pro Tools installed -
is anyone using the 002 with Logic? I'm still coming out of external
speaker jack
in the dual 2gig - very sad.
What's my options here?
I ran the 002 for a while. The driver works with Logic while ProTools
is installed. Protools won't run if you're running Logic (or any
other application that's accessing the 002) . Once you quit them you
can access ProTools again.

This is on OS 10.4 and Logic 7.1.

your mileage may vary.

Matthew

Matthew Costello
matthew-a0887AhRqqI6J/***@public.gmane.org
http://www.matthewcostello.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Jody Whitesides
2005-09-16 06:03:15 UTC
Post by heykaboom
I'm running a Presonus Firebox with my 1ghz powerbook and Logic 7.1.
I love the form factor and the mic pres of the Firebox, but I'm not
too fond of the loud, high whine that my powerbook makes whenever the
box is connected. This happens even if I'm running on battery power,
and is amplified when I'm hooked up to my Mackie 1202 and M-Audio BX5
monitors--even when the volume on everything is off!
Has anyone else experienced this? Despite all the advantages of the
Firebox, it's useless to me if I can't fix this problem.
I'm not experiencing that here with my setup. So maybe you've got a
bad Firebox? or a possible problem in your powerbook? Also, what
firewire port are you running it through? I'm running mine through
the Firewire 800 port. Though I don't remember any whine while I ran
it in the 400 port either.

Nick Batzdorf
2005-09-16 06:06:33 UTC
Post by cowudders
Post by Nick Batzdorf
Post by cowudders
Abbreviation: Just look where the apple is on startup, place this
monitor on the left side and make it your main monitor.
Good theory, but my right monitor is the main one and it's connected
to DVI. :)
where's the apple at startup? On this monitor?
setup: Geforce 9600, OS 10.3.9
gotta (????) go to the bottom of this ... :)
The Apple is on the DVI monitor, and the VGA one (which I happen to
have on the left) has the Dock. I have 2x2.5, which comes with an ATI
card. That card might be what makes the difference; the OS version
doesn't.

nVidia cards's DVI ports don't work with my monitors (AG Neovo
X-174s), by the way. I had to buy an ATI card for my previous machine.

cowudders
2005-09-16 09:35:03 UTC
Post by Nick Batzdorf
Post by cowudders
Post by cowudders
Abbreviation: Just look where the apple is on startup, place this
monitor on the left side and make it your main monitor.
Good theory, but my right monitor is the main one and it's connected
to DVI. :)
where's the apple at startup? On this monitor?
The Apple is on the DVI monitor, and the VGA one (which I happen to
have on the left) has the Dock. I have 2x2.5, which comes with an ATI
card. That card might be what makes the difference; the OS version
doesn't.
Now, if you are brave, try dragging the menubar from your DVI monitor
to the VGA one, setup a 'spread window' in Logic and try to recall it
via Keycommand.

If this works correctly, I'll eat a shoe.

cheers,
bernd

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Nick Batzdorf
2005-09-16 14:48:16 UTC
Post by cowudders
Post by Nick Batzdorf
The Apple is on the DVI monitor, and the VGA one (which I happen
to have on the left) has the Dock. I have 2x2.5, which comes with
an ATI card. That card might be what makes the difference; the OS
version doesn't.
Now, if you are brave, try dragging the menubar from your DVI
monitor to the VGA one, setup a 'spread window' in Logic and try to
recall it via Keycommand.
If this works correctly, I'll eat a shoe.
I don't have a good recipe, but it works fine.

(Logic was already running when the menu bar was on the DVI monitor
before I switched it, though - I didn't do it in the order you mention.)

cowudders
2005-09-17 17:48:04 UTC
Post by Nick Batzdorf
Post by cowudders
Now, if you are brave, try dragging the menubar from your DVI monitor
to the VGA one, setup a 'spread window' in Logic and try to recall it
via Keycommand.
If this works correctly, I'll eat a shoe.
I don't have a good recipe, but it works fine.
(Logic was already running when the menu bar was on the DVI monitor
before I switched it, though - I didn't do it in the order you
mention.)
thanks for testing!

burp,
cheers,
bernd

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Jody Whitesides
2005-09-16 06:00:35 UTC
Post by Paul Najar
Thanks for the report Jody. Do you play many virtual instruments via
midi when you work? Also what sample buffer setting in the audio
driver preferences page do you have Logic set at when playing those
instruments?
I usually run this: Stylus RMX, Battery 2, probably 4-5 instances of
EXS for things like strings and piano. Usually about 8 tracks of
audio. So far no issues. I don't do tons of heavy orchestration, so I
don't know how much I can load it down before it chokes. But it's
working great so far. Mind you this is at 24/44.1.

Paul Najar
2005-09-18 12:42:47 UTC
Post by Jody Whitesides
Mind you this is at 24/44.1.
Yes but what sample buffer set in the audio hardware and drivers
section of Logic?

Thanks

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Matt McKenzie-Smith
2005-09-16 08:05:30 UTC
Post by heykaboom
I'm running a Presonus Firebox with my 1ghz powerbook and Logic 7.1.
I love the form factor and the mic pres of the Firebox, but I'm not
too fond of the loud, high whine that my powerbook makes whenever the
box is connected. This happens even if I'm running on battery power,
and is amplified when I'm hooked up to my Mackie 1202 and M-Audio BX5
monitors--even when the volume on everything is off!
Has anyone else experienced this? Despite all the advantages of the
Firebox, it's useless to me if I can't fix this problem.
No, I have not experienced this. I would try to see if you can have a
shot with another Firebox and see if things are still the same!

Dave Abbott
2005-09-16 10:18:02 UTC
Hi All

I'm still on LAW 5.5.1..well it works :-)!!However I already use 1 Emagic
A6/2M interface...is it possible to use 2 to get 12 inputs, I realise that
USB can only cope with approximately 8 audio streams at a time but aren't
there 2 separate USB busses??? ...also if it is possible does Logic know how
to differentiate between the 2 interfaces to get the 12 inputs

Cheers

Dave Abbott
DaStudio

Johannesburg, South Africa

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
jake holmes
2005-09-16 12:48:34 UTC
Is anyone having any trouble with BFD on 7? 1 have the latest
instance
BFD. Also I'm sure it helps if you give BFD it's own
hard drive - not the audio drive or your regular sample storage drive
either.
thanks for the help from all. I'll get another drive and hope.
Jake

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
David Wilson
2005-09-16 13:24:22 UTC
<quotes repositioned and trimmed, subject header fixed by admin>
Post by Matthew Costello
Post by David Wilson
Is there a way to run Logic thru an 002? Is there a driver for that yet?
Went thru the Digi web site, and seems that the standalone driver
that works for Logic is to be installed ONLY if you don't have Pro Tools installed -
is anyone using the 002 with Logic? I'm still coming out of external
speaker jack in the dual 2gig - very sad.
What's my options here?
I ran the 002 for a while. The driver works with Logic while ProTools
is installed. Protools won't run if you're running Logic (or any
other application that's accessing the 002) . Once you quit them you
can access ProTools again.
This is on OS 10.4 and Logic 7.1.
your mileage may vary.
Did you use the standalone driver (6.9.2.cs2)? the website says not
to use it with pro tools installed -

Is there some sequence I have to follow to get this to work?

Someone suggested opening digi coreaudio manager, then starting Logic -
that didn't work either.

What am I missing?

David Wilson
Brandeis Theater Company
Brandeis University
Waltham, MA

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Matthew Costello
2005-09-16 20:05:32 UTC
Post by David Wilson
Did you use the standalone driver (6.9.2.cs2)? the website says not
to use it with pro tools installed -
Is there some sequence I have to follow to get this to work?
Someone suggested opening digi coreaudio manager, then starting Logic -
that didn't work either.
What am I missing?
David Wilson
Brandeis Theater Company
Brandeis University
Waltham, MA
It was a PT update to 6.9.2. The driver comes as part of the
install. Check your applications folder and see if Digi CoreAudio
Manager.app is in the directory.

The info screen for the driver says 6.9.2 , there's no cs2. A am
able to run it through the 002. Mine is a rack version.

Matthew

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
David Wilson
2005-09-16 13:30:40 UTC
<quotes repositioned and trimmed by admin>
Post by p. strayhorn
Post by David Wilson
Can't seem to get MP3's to import into Logic, is
there a hidden
preference preventing this?
Manual says to do it just as an aiff, and it will
convert it and import.
Won't work for me in Logic Pro 7.1, or Logic
Express.
drag and drop into the arrange window works for me .
.it converts automatically
cheers
p.strayhorn
Yes, I know that's how it's supposed to work, but it isn't.

When I direct audio window to an mp3 file, it can audition it fine,
but when I add it and click done, it gives an error that it can't
read the file and
doesn't put it in the audio window.
tried dragging directly to arrange, and using the arrow tool
combination in arrange -
those don't work either. This is true on Logic Pro in the studio, and
the Logic Express apps in the computer lab.
Seems somehow Logic isn't converting properly.

David Wilson
Brandeis Theater Company
Brandeis University
Waltham, MA

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
p. strayhorn
2005-09-16 16:32:40 UTC
Post by David Wilson
Yes, I know that's how it's supposed to work, but it isn't.
When I direct audio window to an mp3 file, it can audition it fine,
but when I add it and click done, it gives an error that it can't
read the file and doesn't put it in the audio window.
tried dragging directly to arrange, and using the
arrow tool combination in arrange -
those don't work either. This is true on Logic Pro
in the studio, and the Logic Express apps in the computer lab.
Seems somehow Logic isn't converting properly.
have you tried putting the mp3 on your desktop then
dragging and dropping it directly into logic's arrange
window?
cheers
p.strayhorn

P Strayhorn
=======================

David Wilson
2005-09-16 13:27:31 UTC
<quotes repositioned and trimmed by admin>
I am experiencing severe digital audio breakup and noise when
playing back audio. I have this problem in other applications
besides Logic, such as itunes and playback from internet radio.
I am concerned about my firewire bus, but I only have two devices
on the bus: the MOTU 896 and the LaCie d2 DVD writer. I have
swapped the 896 with another unit, and the problem still exists.
just wondering if it is a ram issue?
i just expanded from 1.5 to 3.5 meg and some of my
noise issues went away
p.strayhorn
I'm having this problem too, on a dual 2 gig with 1.5 gb RAM.
thought it was related to coming out of the external speaker jack
for Logic. Pro Tools is fine thru the 002.
You said some of your noise issues went away - is the noise
application specific?

David Wilson
Brandeis Theater Company
Brandeis University
Waltham, MA

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Rohit Chetty
2005-09-16 16:54:09 UTC
I am having trouble with the matrix editor. Everytime
I start using it, the sound goes out completely, and I
have to reboot the whole computer. I am using Logic
with a Presonus Firebox. Any suggestions?

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Glenn Rueger
2005-09-16 16:19:56 UTC
Post by David Wilson
Is there a way to run Logic thru an 002? Is there a driver for that
yet?
Went thru the Digi web site, and seems that the standalone driver
that works for Logic
is to be installed ONLY if you don't have Pro Tools installed -
is anyone using the 002 with Logic? I'm still coming out of external
speaker jack
in the dual 2gig - very sad.
What's my options here?
David,

Don't use that jack for another minute! : )
I am now getting great results through my 002 Rack with Logic Pro
7.1.0 (MUST install the Pro App Tiger "tuneup", see the Logic-users
website) over 10.4.2.
Using the latest Protools LE driver WITH the cs (customer service)
updates found on the Digidesign site, I can work at 128 buffer
setting although I switch to the highest setting for mixing and
bouncing just for safety's sake. If you use Protools don't install
the stand-alone driver. The driver installed with PTLE 6.9.2, with
its updates, as I mentioned works well now.

It has taken a long, long time for this to happen but Digi have
finally dialed it in correctly.
-GRR

g l e n n r u e g e r : s o n i c : a r t s
__/__/__/___/__/___/__/__/___/__/__
think melodically : act harmonically

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Mike Levon
2005-09-16 15:45:17 UTC
Re :Could someone verify that is you have SMPTE
locked markers visible in the Global Track,
attempts to lock/unlock regions SMPTE fail?
Using : Logic Pro 7.1, Tiger 10.42, G5 2GHz, Unitor 2.
It doesn't happen here (same system as yours).
I locked a marker visible in global tracks, and I can lock/unlock
SMPTE time of regions using menu or key commands.
Can you be more specific perhaps....
Global tracks open or closed doesn't seem to matter here.
Certain events (typically non-note MIDI events), just seem
to get stuck in lock mode.
I just realised I had selected all regions - I usually keep all
audio locked, so every so often I do Apple-A, then SMPTE lock.
Does this always work for you? With locked SMPTE markers
*only* showing in the Global track?

I get some regions locking or unlocking, some not. Works fine
when Global track is not showing in arrange, or if no Global tracks
are SMPTE locked.

Kind regards,
Mike.

::: ::: from Mike Levon
::: ::: H O L Y G R O U N D R E C O R D S
::: ::: http://www.holyground.co.uk
::: ::: England's first independent record label

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Howard Wooten
2005-09-16 19:03:14 UTC
Post by Dave Abbott
Hi All
I'm still on LAW 5.5.1..well it works :-)!!However I already use 1 Emagic
A6/2M interface...is it possible to use 2 to get 12 inputs, I realise that
USB can only cope with approximately 8 audio streams at a time but aren't
there 2 separate USB busses??? ...also if it is possible does Logic know how
to differentiate between the 2 interfaces to get the 12 inputs
Dave,

The Emagic A6/2M drivers would be what supports more than one interface,
and I doubt if this function is provided for. The ASIO driver would have to
have built in support for low latency operation. However... the PC version
of Logic supports more than one audio device using the (higher latency)
EASI driver configuration panel. Still, the two audio devices would need to
lock to the same digital clock,

Usually only one USB controller chip onboard even though it may be divided
into a set of front/rear USB ports.

You could add a USB card for additional ports.

HW

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
cowudders
2005-09-17 17:35:47 UTC
Post by LG
I really don't understand why you can't hear + feel the huge increment
on the ULN2's
Monitor + Headphone pots.
Well, topfloormix,
Of course I hear the 'resolution', but have no problem with them being
stepped.
The older ULN-2s also had a different 'slope' on the pot.
Now the resolution for lower levels is much better, as there's an
exponential slope now.
Maybe this isn't the case with your unit.
I sent Stu a rant about this a while ago, too.
Post by LG
And, I think you didn't understand what I was saying about
software;
The software can be + is the limiting factor. period. Any software has
its limitation, if it is
"locked/programmed/designed" and can only offer 2db steps, no matter
what you do, you
will only get 2db steps. Do you call the "precision" - I don't !
The pots you are talking about (monitor&headphones) are analog pots.
I understand the digital/analog thing fairly well, mind you.
Post by LG
So, this is the software limitation I was talking about, and said that
I could hear a "level"
difference between steps. if you disagree again, i am going to be
upset with you, because
up to now - I know what I am talking about, and I would prefer you to
email me privately if
you want to take this further;-) LOL.
OK.
LOL.
:)

cheers,
bernd

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
LG
2005-09-18 01:26:44 UTC
Post by cowudders
Post by LG
I really don't understand why you can't hear + feel the huge increment
on the ULN2's
Monitor + Headphone pots.
Well, topfloormix,
Of course I hear the 'resolution', but have no problem with them being
stepped.
Wether I use the headphone or monitor out, the first or second steps are far two
quiet and the next one up is far too loud - there are 20 steps in total on each pots !
I live in London/UK, come and see me if you want + hear it for yourself. Here I am talking
about a hardware "limitation/issue", which is original ULN2's pots - the increment is far
too big. Period. Even my misses can hear it. And you could too !
BTW: there is nothing wrong with my Monitors or the ULN2 either - it's THE POTS.
Anyway call me an amateur if you want, but on this occasion THOSE 20 steps I am getting
are only "worth" 4 or 5 steps to me. EVEN if they were exponential, I would want at least to
be able to go from 40db to 80db in one db steps ! So, between 0 and 120 that would
make roughly 120 steps. AND if it was exponential, one would expect around 50 steps.
Post by cowudders
The older ULN-2s also had a different 'slope' on the pot.
Now the resolution for lower levels is much better, as there's an
exponential slope now.
Maybe this isn't the case with your unit.
I sent Stu a rant about this a while ago, too.
Which one do you have then? I am going to ask Matt at MH to get this clarified,
he never explained or mentioned anything to me - all I got was part numbers when I
suggested/requested smoother pots !

So you are saying that the new ULN2's pots have exponential slope?

Could you count the steps your getting on each pot please, as a thank for the photo I
posted;-)
Post by cowudders
Post by LG
And, I think you didn't understand what I was saying about
software;
The software can be + is the limiting factor. period. Any software has
its limitation, if it is
"locked/programmed/designed" and can only offer 2db steps, no matter
what you do, you
will only get 2db steps. Do you call the "precision" - I don't !
The pots you are talking about (monitor&headphones) are analog pots.
I understand the digital/analog thing fairly well, mind you.
I never said they were Digital pots ! Well, I am glad for you that you understand so many
things, but as far as I am concerned, I have heard digital mixers were volume/level
increment/steps was quite big, and wether you fitted a 2000 stepped or smooth like
cheeks faders (well, there are girls with rough cheeks;-) it wouldn't have made any
difference. This is the software's limiting factor I was/am talking about.

So, you need both, high resolution/quality algorithm to go with the matching high
resolution/definition pots. If the software offers 400 steps increment, than you can fit a
pot that offers 400 steps and you get a greatly optimized combination. Which is NOT
happening on my ULN2, I call it a hardware limitation which are the POTS. And once again,
on this occasion - it is not a software limitation-but could have been. Not every software
are created equal, neither offer 0.5 DB steps. Do you still believe what you said: "...nothing
to do with the software..." Do you work for MH then? i.e were you referring to the ULN2,
because if you did you - you didn't read what I said: " at least it is NOT a software issue..."
Post by cowudders
cheers,
bernd
I hope you guys are learning something at least, out of this thread;-) LOL

LG - www.topfloormix.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
cowudders
2005-09-18 15:54:33 UTC
Post by LG
So you are saying that the new ULN2's pots have exponential slope?
I sent one (approx. Nr.120 to MH and got a new one - Nr.575). The
output of the monitor section is much softer on the new one. BTW, all
pots are exponential. Otherwise we'd have no resolution at all, or
needed a BIG pot. :)
Post by LG
Could you count the steps your getting on each pot please, as a thank
for the photo I
posted;-)
21
Post by LG
So, you need both, high resolution/quality algorithm to go with the
matching high
resolution/definition pots. If the software offers 400 steps
increment, than you can fit a
pot that offers 400 steps and you get a greatly optimized combination.
Which is NOT
happening on my ULN2, I call it a hardware limitation which are the
POTS. And once again,
on this occasion - it is not a software limitation-but could have
been. Not every software
are created equal, neither offer 0.5 DB steps. Do you still believe
what you said: "...nothing
to do with the software..." Do you work for MH then? i.e were you
referring to the ULN2,
because if you did you - you didn't read what I said: " at least it is
NOT a software issue..."
Either I don't understand what you're writing here or you have this
wrong.
The 'software algorithm' (which one, btw?) has _nothing_ to do with the
resolution of an analog
monitor-out pot. It's different on the 2882s, those are digitally
controlled.

Hey LG, let's finally take this to the MIO list. Many people with much
more knowledge will step in, I'm just a composer not a technician. Ask
B.J. Buchalter himself, he's there and very friendly.

cheers,
bernd

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Jonathan Perl
2005-09-18 17:21:31 UTC
Someone mentioned a while back an AU delay/looping plugin that was
available somewhere on Apple's site, along with other extras. Anyone
know the location for this - I can't google it up . . .
*** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

Jody Whitesides
2005-09-18 18:25:12 UTC
I haven't checked, but is there an IR for Altiverb or Space Designer?
If not, shouldn't be too hard to make one. I don't have access to a
spring reverb or I'd do it.

Jody Whitesides
2005-09-18 18:26:46 UTC
Post by Paul Najar
Post by Jody Whitesides
Mind you this is at 24/44.1.
Yes but what sample buffer set in the audio hardware and drivers
section of Logic?
I'm usually around 128 with it.